Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pizza Made From Cauliflower?

Say what? Yes, I am bringing you a healthy recipe today.  Ever since I started WW (Weight Watchers) I have been worried.  Why you ask? Because of my love affair with pizza. Pizza varies in point value in the 360 Points Plus--but to eat more than one slice you would be racking them up tremendously.  And only being allotted so many points a day, my friend recommended a recipe that she had discovered a cauliflower pizza on Pinterest.  I thought that sounded very strange, but she said it was delicious.  Not only did she love it, but her two kids did too.  So I thought well, isn't it a worth a try?  I do not crave pizza on a daily basis, but it was the fact of the matter, that I couldn't have it if I really wanted it.  So I decided two Saturdays ago I would try.  I will share the site where I followed the recipe and reveal my thoughts. Go here if you want to see the step by step directions!

Ingredients:
-pizza sauce of your choice
-shredded cheese
-your choice of toppings (I chose banana peppers)
-1 head of cauliflower
-1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
-1 egg (I only used the white)
-1/2 tsp dried oregano
-1/2 tsp garlic salt
-olive oil (optional, but I used it)

I followed the recipe to a T except for using the egg yolk.  I am on Weight Watchers so I wanted to make the pizza have a low point value.
The Cauliflower Crust












Sauce and Toppings




My thoughts:

Was the process easy to follow? Yes actually it was incredibly easy to make and did not take much time at all.  I did get a little grossed out after you put the cauliflower in the microwave.  The smell was not appetizing (it actually made me want to puke) and when you had to mold the dough in your hands--lets just say it was too juicy for my liking.

Did it taste like pizza? Well, no not really. It was a mushy consistency.  I am a huge texture person and so when I could separate the grainy cauliflower in a bite...I was not happy.

Did I enjoy it? Kinda. The edges seemed to get a little crispy when I broiled it at the end.  So the edges were not mushy, were crispy, and tasted semi-pizza like.  The edges did not make the whole meal worth it.

Would I make it again? I am leaning towards no. I didn't get my pizza fix through eating this recipe.  I actually broke down three days later and ordered a real yummy pizza.

Have you tried making a healthy alternative style pizza? If so, did you enjoy it? Share with your sister so she can indulge from time to time. :)

Happy Tuesday everyone!




























7 comments:

  1. Next time u need to make it on Pita bread. There's no mush and its still healthy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep pita bread is great or flat outs!!

      Delete
  2. thanks for sharing girl! I actually like a flat out wrap from the store and use some turkey sausage crumbles and turkey peporonni (put them in the microwave to heat and crisp) and then use pizza sauce, those, add veggies if you want, and cheese and its soo good, put it in oven and then in a few mins you have a delicious pizza that actually tastes pretty close and will take away that craving! I have lost almost 30 lbs counting calories on MFP and it was one of my GO TO meals for the longest!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am getting ready to try this out right now!!! Thanks for the idea! :) Congrats on your 30!!!! :)

      Delete
  3. Haven't tried this yet but I've been wanting to. We just made a cheesy cauliflower soup that basically tasted JUST like potato soup to me-- without all the carbs!! We loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking of trying cauliflower crust, but thanks for your honest review of it. sounds like it's a little bit of a no-go.

    xoxo, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used a recipe from Kalyn's Kitchen this summer and it was amazing. I loved it. I know some people who tried other recipes going around pinterest at the time did not have as much luck.

    ReplyDelete