Sunday, December 2, 2012

Ornament DIY: from the Ornament Swap!

Have you stopped by Mary and Angela's Domestic Divas in Training blog yet? If you haven't you missed their link up for the 2012 Ornament Swap where they blogged about the ornaments I sent them.

Not only did I send them the ornaments, but I MADE them.  I think (personally) they turned out GREAT so I thought I would share a step by step so you can see how to do it if you like them too!


The bow takes the most time in creating these beauties--and yes, that could be because I am not what you would call an expert sewer. Now when I think of it I wouldn't even call myself a novice.  I really have no clue what to do after you thread the needle, which takes me more than 5 minutes. LOL. I will tell you that for the second batch of ornaments that I made, I said goodbye to the needle/thread and hello to my trusty glue gun.

First pick out three spools of ribbon, you do not technically need three, but I wanted a fuller bow for Mary and Angela because they have a deep love for Alabama Roll Tide. I had read on their blog that houndstooth repped their beloved passion for Alabama so I found the perfect ribbon.  I chose red and sparkly silver for team colors and everyone loves a little sparkle, right?

You cut them in three different lengths.  The longest I used was 8 inches, the middle was 7 inches, and the smallest was 6 inches.  They need to vary to have the ribbon build on itself.

Then take a lighter to singe the ends to prevent fraying.  This was a little scary as I kept thinking I would burn the whole ribbon and say goodbye to my fingers, but I was fine.

Stack all of the same colored ribbon and thread your needle through the center. This creates a middle point for the looping. One at a time you bend an end of the ribbon onto the center and thread it down on the needle.  Once all strips are looped you thread it a couple of times to ensure the center is in tack.  This is the part I used the glue gun for the second time, and it was definitely easier for me.
 You simply repeat those steps which each color of ribbon you are using.  However, with each layer you use less strips.  There isn't a magical number per se, just use as many as you like. Make sure your bow is as full as you want it to be.

I then filled a glass ball ornament with fake iridescent snow to add what? Yes, more sparkle :)

Finally, I really wanted to find an elephant for the adornment.  But I couldn't find one that looked similar enough to the Roll Tide mascot. I read online that back in the day the announcers used to call the linemen of Alabama elephants because they were as strong as a stomping herd.  Every elephant I found looked like it was nursing its young or living in the zoo.

Therefore, I opted for a sparkly football embellishment that I found in the scrapbooking section of Hobby Lobby. I very carefully placed it in the center of the glass ball ornament.

There you go, a simple but very pretty DIY Christmas ornament tutorial.  Let me know if you try it out. I would love to see what you come up with.  I still have two glass ball ornaments that could see a little something something! :)

I varied it a little the second time with sequins instead of fake snow, and multi colored ribbon (here).




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out :) You're so crafty! Your comments about the elephant were hilarious...thank you for not sending me an ornament of a nursing elephant haha!

    ReplyDelete