Wednesday, November 7, 2012

From James Hall to Teaching, my OU bff :)


Happy  Election Day Tuesday Everyone! 

I am thrilled today to introduce you to my college roomie and BFF, Kristen! She is a wonderful stay-at-home mother of the two sweetest, cutest curly haired munchkins of all the land! Ok, I may be bias because I am their aunt, but this is my blog so I can state my opinion.  

Let me start from the beginning--1999 when Kristen and I first met. We were both incoming freshmen at Ohio University. Let's take a glance at the campus and remember what it was like to be 18 and going to college....



We were lost and looking for McCracken hall when we met and instantly became life long friends.  We had a lot in common and were nervous to leave our moms but ready for the OU experience.  We stayed friends over that summer before college began and the rest is history! This girl has been beside me through thick and thin.  Four years at OU (three of which he lived together), long distant relationships, moving from college back home, death, engagements, moving into the same state again, baby 1, baby 2, death, depression, betrayal, weddings, happiness...you name it we have helped each other.  



 Take a trip down memory lane with us...


College Life: 
please do not judge the quality of these pictures...I am totally guilty of digging up old memories and taking pictures of pictures in a scrapbook with my iPhone! :)








Weren't we totes presh? :)



Adult Hood:
In PGH where Kristen lives now...visiting :)


At Lori's Wedding
All the OU girls together at OU for Lori's Bachelorette over the summer of 2012!

So when she said she wanted to write a post... I WAS THRILLED! I love to feel that I am doing "something" with this blog and to know that a RL friend is paying attention is awesome.  My bloggy friends tell me when they are paying attention with thoughtful comments and emails. But to hear it from someone that I have known for YEARS...I don't know...makes me feel accomplished!

OOOhhhh and this lovely mother of two is a Stella & Dot Independent Stylist!  Check out her pages here and here!

So without further adieu, here is Kristen and her edible finger paint!

*********************************************************************************
First of all, I want to say I feel very blessed that we were not hit by Hurricane Sandy in the way that many people were. I hope that those effected by the hurricane are able to resume their day-to-day lives as quickly as possible. In our house, we had a hurricane of our own. No, I do not mean a weather related kind-- I am talking about a disaster caused by two little boys, Jack and Charlie, and one stir-crazy mom, yours truly. 

For those of you that do not know me, before having my two precious little guys I was a first grade teacher. I thought all my knowledge from my teaching years would help me fill rainy days with endless, fun activities. Enter Hurricane Sandy and I would quickly realize that I was WRONG! Jack is almost three and Charlie just turned one. This means the activities the boys can do are quite different. I quickly turned to Pinterest for some help. 

Let me tell you, if I had a whole day without my boys I would peruse that website and Iʼd still feel I needed more time! There are wonderful ideas and blogs for stay-at-home moms like myself! After two straight days of being inside and playing with EVERY toy we own, I decided to look on Pinterest for some ideas. Luckily a friend of mine from DC has some great pins for moms on her Pinterest board so I started looking there. 
Somehow I stumbled upon edible fingerpaint. A few questions popped into my head... 

Can both boys do this? Yes. 

Do I have all the ingredients? Yes. 

Is this a time consuming process? No (thank God!). 

Will this be a huge mess? Of course! 

The recipe came from www.theimaginationtree.com and is as follows:
2 cups cornstarch
1 cup cold water
4 1/2 cups of boiling water food coloring


Mix the corn starch with the cold water and stir together. Pour in the boiling water and stir between each cup. It literally seems to "melt" into a custard-like consistency. I separated it into individual jars before adding the food color.


My little tips: I halved the recipe and had plenty leftover. Also, I put the mixture in a pan on medium heat and added a little more cornstarch.



The boys had a blast doing finger paint! Charlie did consume quite a bit and seemed to spit most of it up after, but I was reassured to know there was nothing toxic or that could hurt him in the paint. I sealed the jars and checked last night to see if the paint had dried up, and after four days it still seems like we could use it. 

I had a lot of fun watching the boys paint and the clean up wasnʼt too bad. I whisked them straight up to the bath after we painted and the hardest part of the whole event was probably making sure their little hands didnʼt touch the walls on our walk upstairs! 

What a fun adventure and I will certainly make this again. The weatherman has said with confidence that this quite possibly was the storm of the century and we will not see the likes of Hurricane Sandy for quite a while, maybe not even in our lifetime. Well, I can say with that same confidence that the hurricanes that happened in my house over the past week will be reoccurring and I can assure you another storm is brewing as we speak. But in some strange way, I love these crazy days and am so thankful for them each morning I wake up! :)

Luv, Kristen

*********************************************************************************

If you and your kidlets try this out, do let us know! A big thanks to Kristen for blogging in my bloggy land today! Happy painting! 


No comments:

Post a Comment