Thursday, July 5, 2012

Proud to be American DIY Fashion

How did you show your patriotism yesterday?


http://pinterest.com/pin/150518812516636202/
I have been busy for the last week and for once it has not be reading this summer.  I actually feel a bit guilty admitting that I have not touched a book in a solid week now. Pathetic I know, but I do vow to return to my pages and words soon.  So what have I been doing?

It started off fun--I spent a ton of time loving on this fellow below.  He has been miserable with the heat so that makes him extra cuddly! :)



 I got a new bike.  Isn't she cute?  She is a Schwinn beach cruiser.  Just another way for me to pretend that I live near the beautiful ocean.  I have gone on a couple of rides so far and have started to get my comfort level up, since I had not ridden a bike other than stationary ones at the gym since 7th grade! Too bad Henry doesn't fit in the basket!
 My cousins (Haley pictured below) came over to go swimming which was a fun filled day!  It was also the last day before the whirlwind of storms.  You know they say, there is a calm before the storm...well they are right.  We had a BEAUTIFUL day before all went south!  
 Following the swimming day, we had plans to go to my cousins' to see Magic Mike.  Just as we were about to get into the car, my cousin called and said to wait a minute because the weather was bad.  I had just enough time to run outside to put away by hammock before it turned DARK DARK and then the winds came.  It was awful. Scary awful.  It lasted about 25 minutes--and the news said up to 75mph winds--woah.  


I used to climb this tree when I was a kid.  We found it down as we walked around looking at damage and debris in the neighborhood..I got to wear my Hunters too!  



The sun set was oddly beautiful. I loved the purple tones that appeared.




Of course, we lost out power (FOR FOUR DAYS) and had to have a long slumber party with my cousins!  When our power finally came back, we packed up and came home...and that is when I was perusing Pinterest and found a DIY American Flag shirt.  


I couldn't find the directions on the Pin so I had to do some Googling, and finally I came across another blogger that made the shirts! Check them out here!


Materials you will need:

  • plain white tee
  • blue painting tape
  • star stickers
  • cardboard
  • blue and red spray paint
  • scissors
I documented my process below! Check it out!


Taping off the shirt for the red stripes..be sure to cover the section that you want to be blue!

Spray paint away!  Close sprays will make it look faded and graffiti like!

Once the read is semi-dry, place the star stickers where you wish and cover the red portions!

Spray paint away! Again closer sprays will get that faded look.

When dry peel away the tape and stickers!

You will need to cut the shirt more once you try it on for your liking!
Henry showed his love for the country too!
That's....just what jess is up to! :)


2 comments:

  1. I wore a blue and white striped dress! That's kind of patriotic, right? :)

    That's so fun that you made tank top! They turned out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever and patriotic! Thanks for posting how you made them :)
    -Jackie @ http://www.oceanbeachcruisers.com

    ReplyDelete