Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars



The Fault in Our Stars by John Green figuratively knocked me off my feet.  Once I opened this book I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN.  I have been a reading machine lately, starting and finishing books within 36 hours.  This book ended up not being an exception.


I stumbled upon this title before I left for my cruise and to be honest the cover caught my eye.  They had my attention enough to check the back of the book.  This is the point where I knew I had to read it.  The first critic said, "A novel of life and death and the people caught in between, The Fault in Our Stars is John Green at his best.  You laugh, you cry, and then you come back for more."--Markus Zusak.  Hook, line, and sinker...I found myself taking it to the counter to purchase.  


I had to finish another book before starting this one--which is what I think rushed me through it.  As soon as I met Hazel, Augustus, and Isaac I wanted to reach into the pages and ink and tell them I am on their side, tell them that I am rooting for them, and tell them the inevitable "you will be alright!"  


Now of course, if you choose to pick this book up please be prepared to read about three long, strong fights with the big C.  Yeah you read that right, CANCER.  Not only three different CANCERS, but three young teenagers who are coming to terms and fighting everyday for their lives.  


Zusak was right. I laughed, out loud for that matter.  I laughed harder and felt guilty for laughing.  I cried, real tears.  I cried, and actually had to stop reading to regain my composure.  These kids made me smile despite their awful deal of the cards.  


So all and all if you can handle the facts of life AND cry/laugh while reading about it, pick this book up ASAP!


That's....just what jess is up to! :)

2 comments:

  1. I have to prep something for a class I'm teaching this afternoon, and I"ve had the hardest time putting down the book I'm reading now. It's Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, and it's amazing. I was crying in bed reading it this morning, and i'm only 2/3 of the way through it. I don't know what possible could happen in the last 1/3, but I'm not sure I'll be able to make it through with dry eyes. Don't you just love books that suck you in like this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meghan! I know exactly what you mean! I will definitely look that book up promptly! I am coasting through my summer book list pretty easily so adding another will not be any problem! :) Thanks for the suggestion and for stopping by to read my blog. (I am just getting started around here!)

    ReplyDelete