Saturday, March 3, 2012

Shoes are my weakness, so let's organize 'em!

This is not a craft post.  You have been forewarned.


A little over a month ago, my friend sent me a text message with her new organizational method for her shoes.  As soon as I saw what she had decided to create in her guest bedroom's closet, I knew I had found a new mission.  I instantly grilled Shannon on where to buy the supplies she had used.  I found myself looking for a cube organizer by ClosetMaid.  I looked at Walmart without any luck...and decided I would go to Target the next.  However, my mom and I stopped at the grocery store on our way home, and WAHLAH!  There in the middle of a random Valentine's aisle sat some ClosetMaid cube storage! I was slightly excited--more so when I found out that instead of being over $40--they were on sale for $15! :) Double bonus, I will buy two thank you!


{http://store.closetmaid.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10151&langId=-1&top_category=10001&parent_category_rn=10054&categoryId=10087&productId=10444}

Here it is put together and doing its job--organizing!

So with the decision that I was following Shannon--as my inspiration and guide to better organization--I kept saying, "This weekend is organization weekend!"  Believe it or not, while I was super excited to embark on this task, I didn't find a whole lot of motivation to... C L E A N! :(  However, I knew I had to pick a weekend, because she said it was "life changing!"  See below for a picture of Shannon's shoe closet!


So after three weekends on the road, I decided that today was THE day.  Starting bright and early at 8:30am, I began to pitch unnecessary  items, donate decent items to GoodWill, and of course gave some things to Henry to chew on for a bit.  This task (while I know will be worth it) was like a full day of work.  I did not stop until 4pm!

So here is what I was dealing with before...

BEFORE
As you an see my closet was a mess.  I mean who was I kidding? I have no idea how I even found my clothes, shoes, purses, accessories.  But I guess it worked as best as it could, as I did make myself presentable each day.  However, with staring at this every day, I knew I was like a little girl...struggling to get out of the plastic storage days of college.  Don't get me wrong, I would go back to OU in a heart beat, but I needed an "adult"  closet.  I see all of these beautiful displays on Pinterest each day.  I am not totally convinced that those pictures are of REAL people's closets and not a catalog picture from The Container Store, but I digress.  I just knew I needed help.  And thanks to Shannon I was headed in the right direction!

So after hours of hard work..and me being exhausted writing this post...you will see my new shoe closet.  Where are my clothes you may wonder?  I moved all of them into the guest bedroom's closet.  I definitely now consider my fashion world organized.

Shoes are aligned together by type of shoe or brand of show.  I am a tad weird when it comes to organization.

In my standing shelving unit (already in closet previously) I bought ClosetMaid fabric drawers to hold accessories (scarves, hats, belts, socks, etc.)  I even had an extra tall shelf for my Vera Bradley belongings!  Purses are also able to be hanging--easier to pick out what you want...and on display too!


I had to instagram it! I am proud!

And again!
So there you have it. My new closet. :) I must say I like it already and all I have done is look at it! Haha!  So what has you moving this weekend? I am ready to crash!

That's....just what jess is up to! :)




1 comment: