Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Crafts (and a guest blog post)!



You know the saying, "A day late and a dollar short"?  That is how I feel about this blog post.  All last week I kept saying, sit down and write the new post.  And then the next day I would say, Crap, I didn't write that yet.  So a week later...I am finally sitting down to get this done!  Irony in this is that I will be featuring my first guest blog spot with this post, and I gave Jamie a deadline (which she met despite being sick and having a sick little one).  


After seeing the back seat of my tiny Sophia (VW Beatle convertible) as I had to pack all of my crafting supplies, we decided that I was a traveling crafter...which is how we landed on our title for this blog post! :)


You may remember reading my last post where I described my upcoming weekend with Jamie G! We spent our Saturday night craft and kid free! We went out to eat, visited the local Walmart (it is a Jamie and Jessi tradition), and stayed in a hotel to get geared up for our crafting day.  


We were very busy crafting for almost 8 hours (phew, I was exhausted!).  We decided to re-do some crafts that I had previously tried.  So I wanted to share the finished photos of these products (before we get to the new craft post).  


First up, the backless earring holder for Jamie.  See this post for directions!  Jamie's turned out great.  The only change we had to make during crafting was using thumbtacks.  Her frame didn't have a backing, it was hollow.  So in order to get the wire to stay in place, we had to use the hot glue gun to build an area where we could secure each end of the hanging wire.  So far, I believe this worked!  Her's definitely turned out great!



Next we made some more magnetic make up boards!  This still remains as my favorite craft to date.  My mom finally liked something that I made and wanted one of her own as well.  She and Jamie both decided that they wanted a smaller board, so we used document frames from Walmart ($3)!  They both turned out nicely!  Jamie's has the paisley print (teal and brown color combo) and of course my mom went with daisies (if you know her at all, you should not be surprised by this decision!).


So now what you all have been waiting for...my first guest blog post!  For those of you who have not had the pleasure of meeting my dearest friend from OU...Jamie is originally from Akron, Ohio.  We have been friends since 2001 (roughly) where we were in the same student organization at OU.  We have had crazy times, awesome times, and the best times.  As we have gotten older, we have definitely gotten extremely close.  I am Aunt Jessi unofficially with her kiddos too!  

We decided to make Pom Pom Pens.  I originally found this idea on Pinterest.  That pin took us to a blog post by Sew Sarah, but her directions called for some sewing action.  I do not have any skill in that department, although Jamie was not scared!  We decided to search on the world wide web...and we found some directions that just required our basic crafting skills.  

So without further adieu---Take it over Jamie G!

Here’s what supplies we needed: fabric, scissors, hot glue gun, pens.
Note from Jessi: Fabric was purchased at Hobby Lobby in the scrap bin for a little over $1 for each roll.  Jamie purchased the Bic pens from Walmart for $3!



First we cut the fabric into approximately ¼ inch by 18 inch strips. 
Size is approximate and doesn't have to perfect.

We found the easiest way for us was to fold the fabric in half (therefore we were only cutting 9 inch strips).  The fabric was from the bargain bin and was already 18 inches and we almost immediately quit measuring the quarter inch and just estimated. The size isn’t a big deal at all. The cutting was sort of tedious and we each stopped after getting through one piece of fabric so we only had two pieces to work with, which made a whopping total of 4 pens!

Next we separated the fabric strips into piles of 40 with 20 of one pattern and 20 of the other. 
Piles of the fabric strips.

And we started to make the poms.  This part was a little tricky and there was one blogger who made a cheat device with popsicle sticks but we used our fingers.  Start with one strip and hold in by pinching it between your middle finger and thumb.  Hold your pointer finger as far up as you can and wrap the fabric up and around your pointer finger then down and around your middle finger lifting your thumb just enough to pinch the fabric and hold it in place as your wrap as many times as possible. The end won’t match up or end in the right place. Just let it hang where it ends and start the next fabric strip exactly as the last. We alternated fabrics with each strip. This doesn’t have to be perfect either just as long as your wrap about 40 strips around as if you were wrapping a string of Christmas lights. 

Please note… we tried a smaller pom with 20 strips of fabric and even made a smaller one when we got down to a pile of extras. Also, we tried wrapping them pattern face up and pattern face down. My personal opinion would be to alternate face up and face down somehow but, we didn’t try that.

With your left hand full of a fabric loop take a fabric strip and wrap it around the middle tying a tight knot.  This should make your loop look more like a bow. Remove your fingers and slide the scissors in their place cutting the fabric loop on each side and voila, the pom is finished.

To cover the pen, just take fabric and wrap it around and around securing with hot glue every so often.

Then, add the pom to the pen. I turned my pom on the side and opened it up around the knotted strip then  put hot glue into the crevice and stuck the pen in as far as I could.



So there you have it--pom pom pens!  I have to admit that I became very frustrated with this craft.  I think I will give it another shot, but if not I do plan on sending Jamie all of the other fabrics I bought!  She can make more pens and then just share the love.  I mean that is what friends are for, right?


I also have to send her a huge thank you.  Despite my whining and pouting, she still let me keep the two best pens that we made (cough cough, she made!).  All in all we had a great weekend, and we already are cooking up ideas for next time!


That's....just what jess (and jamie too) is up to! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment