Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Warm up with some hearts...craft numero uno!

So after my resolution decision making escapade last night, I woke up this morning determined to try my first craft of the New Year. So anyways, one of the blogs I ran upon last night was "the hybrid chick" and a talented gal named Heather had posted how to make a  paper heart wreath.  I looked at our front door and noticed the snowman decor still hanging and decided that I would make this craft as my first criteria of the New Year's Resolution!


I went to Hobby Lobby this am, and after rummaging through the 80% off Christmas decoration deals, I headed to the scrapbook section to find some double-sided paper.  I did not use the photo paper because I did not have a printer (with ink!) at home and I was determined to try this out today. [as a side note, I see how the photo paper is important now--but that was realized after the fact]


Nevertheless, I decided on a collection pack called "sweet threads", grabbed some glue dots, and a spool of pink glitter ribbon.  You also need a paper cutter, but I already had one at home (bonus!).
 [Here are my supplies all laid out on the table ready to go!   :)]
[In hindsight, I wish I would have bought the more expensive glue dots...the $2.99 special lived up to its price!]
[I decided on the pink ribbon with some glitter because it matched perfectly with my paper selection!]
 Next up was to pull up the blog with directions, which I followed to a "T"!  Cutting the strips of paper, folding them precisely, applying the glue dots in the correct spots, and alas building tiny hearts for my wreath!
[Check the link at the top of this entry to go to "the hybrid chick" and get the directions!]
[Pretty strips of paper that are about to become cute little hearts!]
[I recommend folding the strip in half before creating the heart.  It helped to "form" the heart.]
[12 hearts reading for attaching]

Now here is where my mistake was made.  Because I did not use the photo paper, I believe my glue dots were resistant to holding a) the heart shape and b) staying put in the wreath.  So of course, I figured this out when I was ready to hang it up on the door!  So I gently undid each heart and applied some rubber cement glue.  I also had to take the extra measure of using bobby pins to hold them in place while drying.  I will add pictures of the final product below!
[Before I hung it up!]
[I did use a glue gun and make the top of the ribbon a little fancier!]
[Hanging on the door!] 
{Success! Will you be my Valentine?]


Lesson learned: if you are going to use scrapbook paper you need something stronger than glue dots, or the expensive glue dots!


I am not sure what my next craft will be.  I have to complete at least one more before the end of the month, so I somewhat feel ahead of the game! Go me!  I head back to the real-world tomorrow (work, after 14 days off).  So I will see what I can cook up!


That's....just what jess is up to! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment