Friday, January 20, 2012

No Pictures, No Pictures...Please No Pictures!

I can't quite remember who was known for saying that...but I thought it was an appropriate title for today's post because it indeed does involve a picture frame, yet it does not involve a picture! Creative, right? :)


You will not find yourself surprised when I tell you that I found this crafty idea on pinterest! It seems that browsing the site has become part of my morning routine, my afternoon routine, my evening routine, and even my right before bed routine! The fact that I can browse on my phone just adds to my addiction.  


Anyways, here is the pin I stumbled across I am sure when I should have been completing one of my daunting tasks on my to do list.  
[http://pinterest.com/pin/150518812515759833/]
[http://pinterest.com/pin/150518812515722220/]


As soon as I saw it, I thought it was cute.  However, then I remembered another pin that I had found a few days earlier (above).  I had already bought a serving plate based on this pin and knew that this shabby, chic jewelry holder would be the perfect addition to my display.


Next step? Investigate this jewelry holder further.  The pin forwarded me to a blog of course!  It was a blog called "Kevin & Amanda"...low and behold there were directions that seemed so easy for me to quickly want to create this craft! 


Off to Walmart I went.  My shopping list was not advanced and for that I thank Amanda.  All you need to buy is a ordinary black picture frame (8x10 or 8.5x11), thumbtacks, acrylic paint, paint brush, and picture frame hanging wire.  I bought all of my supplies at Walmart for $8! The frame was a document frame (8.5x11) for a whopping $3!  Acrylic paint was $1.97 and I purchased the color #515 Vintage White by Folk Art.  For $1 I went ahead and purchased the same brush Amanda used, which is a foam paint brush--my package came with 4 of them.  I wasn't sure if I had enough thumbtacks at home (you need 10 total) I bought a package. The picture hanging wire was the biggest challenge I had locating.  After scouring the picture frame section, the craft section, and the school supplies sections, I finally landed in tools.  I did find it!  A package was $1.67!
[here is everything that you need :)]
Painting the frame took a total of two hours, because you need to paint it with two coats, allowing an hour of drying time in between.  You do not want to put a ton of paint on the brush at once.  I did not use long, smooth strokes while I painted.  I did a lot of dabbing and sloppy strokes.  Why? Because I wanted the frame to end up with a vintage look, not a perfect look.  I allowed the first coat to dry and then I did the exact same painting steps for the second coat. You can see below the three steps. :)
The next morning I was ready to create the wire strands (to hold the earrings).  I took the picture hanging wire across the width of the frame three times, and folded them together.  You can cut it with a regular pair of scissors.  Next you loosely twist them together to get the wires to be thicker and to allow room to hook earrings through.  Once this step is done, you are almost finished!  You just need to decide on your measurements and tack your strands on the back of your frame.  For the first strand I tacked it 1 inch from the top.  The next three were then 2.5 inches from each other.  And the last strand was about a .5 inch from the bottom.  I ended up using the bottom strand for fun earrings that are not dangling.  See the pictures below for examples.
And that was a wrap! I immediately got into my armoire and dug out some of my favorite dangling earrings and a few pairs of studs that I wanted to display.  I decided to leave my lamp on the stand with the frame and my serving stand.  By the way, my serving stand holds every day jewelry.  It gives it a pretty home and it is definitely easy to find each morning!  So my hoops, watch, and bangles are currently living there!


I have to say I am beyond happy with this.  I think I may make more.  It has completely created a decor display that is functional.  So I must say hats off to Amanda for her wonderful idea!  If you have any successes with this craft, please share with me!

Side Note:

I need to share another Etsy shop with you all!  It is called the Yarnival! I ordered a head wrap last week that arrived yesterday! I was hesitant about it at first because I wasn't sure how it would look on me, but I am definitely lovin' it now that it is in my hands.  It is beautiful!






That's....just what jess is up to! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment